Thursday, October 29, 2009

Deep Sea Fishing with my Dad

Yesterday my mom sent my dad out on an off shore fishing trip with a local charter captain for his birthday. The captain invited me to go along for free so I jumped at the chance. I've never truly gone deep sea fishing before so I was really excited. We were out on the ocean for eight hours and we only caught one fish. I was the one who hooked it and, even though I wanted my dad to bring it in (it was his birthday trip) he insisted that it was mine. With that being said, I landed my very first Sailfish! It was incredible and we fought for about 20-25 minutes before I got her along side the boat. We got a leader touch (technically means you landed the fish) and then turned her loose. Even though it was a trophy catch, we chose to catch and release her. She was a good fighter and the captain estimated her at 5-6 feet and 35 -40 lbs. We took some video (boring parts removed) and pictures which are below. While I was excited about catching my Sailfish, I was bummed that my dad didn't catch anything. We both know that there are days like that with fishing, it just stank that it was on his birthday trip. Regardless of the lack of action, we had fun together and any day spent on the ocean in 85+ degree weather is a great day.




No comments: