Saturday, June 14, 2008

Saturday, June 14







We really got around Taipei today!  I don't think we'll have any trouble sleeping tonight.  lol  We woke up at 6:30am, got ready and had breakfast then went out and walked around for almost 2 hours.  At 11:00am we met our friend Kerry and she taught us how to use the subway.  We ended up at the Jade and Flower Markets where they have the most beautiful jade and gorgeous flowers.  After spending a couple of hours there, she took us to a dumpling restaurant and we all split several dishes.  We tried Hot & Sour Soup, Beef dumplings, Vegetable dumplings, Egg Soup, Dan-dan noodles, Tofu Wonton Soup and then we had Seven Treasure Sweet Rice for dessert - it was all delicious.  

After lunch we went back and finished the Flower and Jade Markets then got on the subway and set out for Danshui, which is in the north western part of Taiwan.  We went to our first night market there and saw lots of stuff not on the 'Rob approved list'.  I am very proud of him - he tried way more stuff than I ever thought he would.  Here is a list of all the different things we tried - breads, pastries, cookies, dried peaches, dried salted shrimp, sesame sauce on sprouts, wasabi peas, ice cream and a whole bunch more stuff that I couldn't figure out.  The grand finale: STINKY TOFU (fermented grilled tofu on a stick topped with fermented cabbage).  Why did I do it?  Because it is the one thing that I have heard lots of people talk about but haven't found anyone who has actually tried it.  So I did - and I ate four bites and Rob actually ate one too!  Will I try it again?  Will I crave it when we get back to the states?  NO - but it feels good to have tried it. 

We also took a boat ride to a different night market and I got a really painful ten minute shoulder massage for about $3.  It hurt like crazy, but my shoulders sure feel lots better.  After several hours in Danshui, we headed back to downtown Taipei and then on to our hotel.  It is now 11pm and we are going to get some sleep.  We have another busy day tomorrow when we travel to Myah's birth town to see where she was born.  Enjoy the pictures!


3 comments:

Shana said...

Love the pics and so glad you got to try some stinky tofu! I never did:( You guys sound like you are having a great time. Have an awesome time in Myah's birth town!
-Shana
Program B
www.giroux5.blogspot.com

Chris said...

You guys are really getting a workout in Taipei-it is amazing to be able to have such a great time there-yes, I am envious, but glad you guys are only a few more hours away from Myah!
Hugs

Unknown said...

I am so thankful that Kerry is able to take you guys around! She is very mice and very helpful!

Thank you, Kerry!